Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Fainting goats!


Today we studied neruomuscluar synapses in MCB80. I couldn't stop laughing at this video, even though I feel sorry for these goats! They suffer from myotonia congenita, a genetic mutation in which there is a problem with the ion channels in the membranes of the cells.... anyway, I need to study more so that I can explain this, but my fellow MBE-ers might be interested to remember that even if your brain is working fine, it is possible to experience dysfunctions in other ways - in this case, a problem with the action potentials at the muscle site. Also worth noting, the older goats learn to brace themselves to avoid falling over!

1 comment:

DavidRose said...

Hi Darby,

Nice Blog! And this goat movie is unbelievable. I never heard of this before but I bet I'll have reason to use it again in ht100!

david